Preventative Dentistry in West Bradenton, FL
As your trusted dental care provider, Palms Dental is here to help you maintain optimal oral health throughout the rest of your life. Preventive dental care is the cornerstone of our practice, and we strive to always guide our patients on their path to healthy, disease-free smiles.
What Is Preventive Dental Care?
As the name suggests, preventive dentistry helps prevent oral disease, decay, and other conditions. Preventive dental care is key to having strong and functional teeth and gums throughout the course of your life. But did you know that your oral health can impact your general health and well-being?
At Palms Dental, we care for your entire smile so you can enjoy life’s most precious moments with confidence and comfort.
Our Preventive Dentistry Services
Regular preventive care is essential for whole-person health. Our preventive dental treatments include:
Digital x-rays and imaging – We take routine digital x-rays and use digital sensors and intraoral cameras to check for underlying dental health conditions. These tools help us provide quick diagnosis and proper treatment. Digital x-rays can help us see early signs of decay, disease, fractures, and more.
DIAGNOdent™caries detection aid – Dr. Stock uses this device to detect caries (decay) within the tooth structure. The device is the size of a pen and emits safe laser fluorescence, highlighting the affected area on a chair-side monitor.
Dental exams and cleanings – Routine exams and cleanings allow us to perform a comprehensive oral health evaluation and develop a customized treatment strategy. Cleanings are also essential as we use specialized tools to carefully remove plaque, tartar, and calculus from areas your toothbrush and floss can’t reach.
Periodontal maintenance – Your gum health is just as important as the health of your teeth. For those with gingivitis and advanced gum disease, we offer periodontal maintenance. This includes deep cleaning, also known as scaling and root planing, removing plaque below the gumline and smoothing gum pockets.
Benefits of Preventive Dental Care
Regular preventive dental exams in Bradenton are beneficial for your health because they do the following:
- Lower your risk for developing cavities, gum disease, and other dental conditions
- Encourage excellent oral hygiene habits, such as daily brushing and flossing
- Promotes early detection of oral health issues, which may minimize treatment and cost
- Enable your dentist completely examine your mouth, jaw, and neck to identify any related problems
- Reduce the risk of developing chronic medical conditions, such as diabetes, osteoporosis, certain cancers, and eating disorders
Your Role in Preventive Dental Care
Preventive dental care isn’t just your dentist’s responsibility; you must play an active role in your own oral health by developing healthy habits to reduce cavities, gum disease, and more.
Here are some basics of good oral health:
- Brush your teeth with a fluoride toothpaste at least twice daily.
- Floss once daily.
- Eat a nutritious diet.
- Never use your teeth as tools to open packages or bottles.
- Don’t smoke or use tobacco products.
- Use a mouthguard when participating in certain physical activities.
- Wear a nighttime mouthguard if you grind your teeth during sleep.
Do you need a preventive exam and cleaning? Call us today to schedule your next visit!